Accommodation rating: Superior
Estancia Cristina was founded in 1914 by Joseph Percival Masters, an Englishman who came to Patagonia with his wife in 1900. The main house of the farm was named after Mr Masters' daughter who was born in Patagonia in 1904. The estancia was kept in the family and thrived as a huge cattle station throughout the 20th century until it was handed over to the national park in the 1980's. The estancia has now been converted into a delightful lodge with 20 stylish rooms set in separate bungalows which look out across the corral, river and grasslands. Among the many lovely features are a bar and lounge with an open fire, a high-windowed restaurant serving hearty Patagonian food and a rustic museum in the former sheep-shearing shed, dedicated to the history of the estancia and the family. The setting is remarkable, close to the shores of an arm of Lago Argentino, the Upsala glacier and the Patagonian ice fields. It is the perfect setting from which to enjoy the wide open landscapes and tranquillity of Patagonia. A selection of inclusive excursions include a walk to a waterfall, 4x4 drives into the mountains to visit to the Upsala glacier, walking in the 'Canyon of Fossils', horse-riding and fishing.
Please call 020 3813 2966 for more information or to make a booking.