5 of the Best... Costa Rica
Richard Godden, one of Cox & Kings’ Latin America Tour Consultants, highlights his five favourite experiences from his recent trip to Costa Rica.
1. El Silencio Lodge & Spa is an environmentally friendly retreat set in a 500 acre private reserve. The lodge is surrounded by tropical cloud forest, dotted with waterfalls. An ideal place to relax at the beginning or end of a trip, as it is just over an hour from San Jose international airport.
2. Lake Arenal is surrounded by rolling hills. During the boat transfer, and if the weather permits, you can have excellent views of Arenal Volcano.
3. Xandari Resort & Spa has recently built this infinity pool, which is located away from the main area of accommodation. The pool offers a peaceful setting with distant views of the cities of San Jose and Alajuela. This place is colourful and has a definite wow factor.
4. Guanacaste is a charming region on the Pacific coast. Journeys are often on un-made roads, although this does make for a genuine Costa Rican experience. The region has a warm climate and the impressive scenery is only interrupted by small towns and cattle ranches.
5. Observing howler monkeys is one of the highlights of any trip to this region. The monkeys are active at sunrise and in the afternoon once the temperatures have dropped. The dominant male is often to be found scrapping with rivals for the best spots in the canopy.
Cox & Kings offers a selection of luxury tours to Costa Rica.