020 7873 5000
We are open today 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Request a quote

This information is correct as of 8 January 2021. For completely up-to-date information, please always speak to a Cox & Kings representative about the latest developments.

We are committed to supporting and assisting you throughout every aspect of a holiday that you book with Cox & Kings. Below we have put together some valuable information about travelling to the EU now the transition period is over and the UK has left the European Union with an agreement in place.

Passport eligibility

If you are a UK passport holder (or any non-EU national) wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

  • Valid for at least three months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting
  • Which was issued within the previous 10 years

Check both the issue date and the expiry date in your passport. If you renewed your passport early, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. This could affect the requirement for your passport to be less than 10 years old. If your passport does not meet these rules, we advise you to apply for a new passport before any travel.

In general, we recommend to always have at least six months validity on your passport, regardless of the destination you are travelling to.

Visa requirements

You will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You will be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer or for business travel and travellers should check each country’s travel advice page for information on how to get a visa or permit.

European health card

When travelling in the European Union and beyond, it is important to take out comprehensive travel insurance with sufficient healthcare cover based on personal circumstances and any additional activities you plan to do. If you have a European Health Insurance Card it will be valid up to its expiry date. If you apply for a card now, you’ll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC. More details here

Driving in Europe

Green cards for insurance

If you are driving your own car in Europe, you will need to obtain and carry a physical Green Card for your UK car insurance to be valid in the EU. These cards will be available from your car insurance provider. You may be charged a small fee to cover administration costs. The ABI advises you apply for a Green Card at least a month before you are due to travel. You may also need a Green Card for your trailer or caravan, so check with your insurer.

GB car stickers

You will need a GB sticker for your own car when driving in the EU after the transition period ends.

Driving permits

If you have a paper licence or your driving licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man you may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway from 1 January 2021. These are available from the Post Office.  Full details can be found at gov.uk. You may also need a GB sticker for your own car when driving in the EU after the transition period ends.

Travelling to Europe - other things to be aware of

If you are going on holiday you won’t need a visa for short trips to Europe. Please be aware that at border control you may need to show a return ticket on arrival into an EU or EEA country and that you have enough money for your stay. Also, when going through passport control you may not be able to use the designated security lanes for EU or EEA nationals and there may be additional security checks to verify document validity and security information. You won’t be able to take any meat, milk or any products containing these items into the EU. There are exceptions for powdered baby milk, baby food, or pet food required for medical reasons.

Data roaming

Rules around mobile data roaming are changing meaning you may face charges when using your phone abroad, including for making calls, sending messages or using the internet. Check with your mobile phone provider about their data roaming policy.

The UK Government also has advice for people travelling to the EU after 1 January 2021.

Taking pets abroad

Your pet passport will no longer be valid, instead you will need an Animal Health Certificate and you pet will need to be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. If you wish to take your pet abroad you should speak to your vet in advance to make sure you have these in place before you are due to travel. Full details can be found at gov.uk.

Cancellation of your holiday

At present, standard cancellation conditions will apply for any non-forced cancellation of holiday arrangements booked with Cox & Kings. As a valued client of Cox & Kings, rest assured that the Package Travel Regulations will remain law when the UK leaves the EU. As such, if you have booked a package with us, you have the most comprehensive consumer protection if there is any disruption to your plans. Your holiday is completely protected, giving you the right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided.

If you have any questions regarding your upcoming travel arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact a Cox & Kings travel specialist on 03301 733 035. They are ready with insight and support to make your holiday a hassle-free heaven from booking to completion.

We are on hand to help and look forward to welcoming you on a Cox & Kings holiday.

Begin your journey

Enquire online or contact one of our travel consultants.

Order a brochure

For more travel inspiration, request a copy of the latest Cox & Kings brochure – a comprehensive collection of our group tours.