The magnificent fortress of Daulatabad


| May 15, 2020

Halfway between Aurangabad and Ellora is the magnificent hilltop fortress of Daulatabad. Occupation of this site, then known as Deogiri (Hill of the Gods), dates from its ninth-century role as bastion and capital of a confederacy of Hindu tribes. In 1327 it was renamed Daulatabad (City of Fortune) by Mohammed Tughlaq, who had the notion to build a new capital here, and march the entire population of Delhi 1,100 km south to populate it. His unhappy subjects rapidly proceeded to die off, and 17 years later he turned around and marched them all back to Delhi. Share:
  • Tags:

Comment on this article