HD - tour of Punakha Dzong


| May 15, 2020

Punakha Dzong, or ‘the palace of great happiness or bliss’, is located strategically at the junction of the Pho Chu and Mo Chu rivers. It was built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to serve as the religious and administrative centre of the region.  Damaged over the centuries by four catastrophic fires and an earthquake, the dzong has been fully restored in recent years and is particularly inviting when the colours of the jacaranda trees surrounding it blossom during spring. The Punakha Dzong is particularly famous for housing a temple where the remains of the Terton, Pema Lingpa, and Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal are preserved in the Machey Lhakhang.

Share:
  • Tags:

Comment on this article